State Advocacy Manager
The Cicero Institute is seeking a full-time state advocacy manager to support the expansion of our advocacy efforts across the country. The successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring and tracking legislation, managing information between our policy leads, contractors, lawmakers, and other public officials, as well as producing written reports for internal and external audiences. There is expansive growth opportunity in this role as we expand into additional states.
The ideal candidate will have state legislative, public policy, and/or campaign experience. This individual will need to be organized, manage prioritizing and completing multiple tasks, be able to communicate clearly and professionally to multiple diverse audiences, and have the ability to travel, sometimes on short notice.
THE CICERO INSTITUTE
The Cicero Institute applies the principles of innovation—and the principles and philosophy behind dynamic, free societies—to improve government and public systems. We are accomplishing more each year, with dozens of wins in nine states over the last two years.
Cicero’s policies are improving areas like healthcare, homelessness, public safety, education, and more. Our work is already leading to better outcomes for hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens, and we’re working with leaders to use innovation in policy to break through government dysfunction.
We operate through Cicero Research, a 501(c)(3), and Cicero Action, a 501(c)(4). Our team draws on a wealth of experience in the public sector, as well as the innovation world. In many respects, we are more like a high-growth startup than a typical think tank.
The State Advocacy Manager will be tasked with:
1. Legislative monitoring. Update status of each policy area in each state to easily inform organization leadership and staff, join or lead calls with lobbyists for updates on any movement of our issues.
2. Information management. Work with CA Executive Director to serve as the point of contact between the Cicero Policy and Research team and in-state contractors and policymakers.
3. Advocacy Support. Provide support to the CA Executive Director by fielding calls and/or meetings, serving as point of contact in multiple states, manage deliverables for our state partners, and execute on the state success strategy.
4. Communications. Ensure great internal and external communications to inform all key audiences of our work. Build and protect the Cicero brand by initiating and reviewing communications on social media, Cicero websites, and in the news as part of the communications team at Cicero.
5. Intellectual growth. Your ability to learn, apply knowledge, and communicate that knowledge will allow for expanded opportunities. Success is measured by the success Cicero Action has in the states on legislation, relationships with key players, and recognition for expertise on our issues.
Integrity, organization, political awareness, communication, flexibility, process management, attention to detail, ability to travel (sometimes on short notice), and interpersonal skills.
We are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible. To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Bryan Sunderland at [email protected]. This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package including health benefits, 401K, and a generous paid leave plan. Candidates should be willing to relocate to Austin, Texas.